Recently I added some insulation to the crawlspace of our house. The leaking of heat in winter and conditioned air in summer are examples of lost energy.
There are plenty of areas in life where we lose energy. We can insulate these areas and save valuable energy instead. It starts with mindfulness as it’s easy to miss an insulation gap between the floor joists of life.
Here are a few common instances:
- Situations over which you have little/no control – don’t give your energy to these. ie. memed political post tempts you to share? Think about how many others’ energy will be wasted as they analyze the same. This doesn’t solve anything. A letter or phone call to your representative would be much more beneficial.
- Toxic relationships – these can come back over and over if you don’t make peace with them. Write the forgiving letter, make the phone call or break up with someone from your past who continually tries to pull you down.
- Excessive TV and social media – massive mental processing energy spent surfing channels or scrolling endlessly through social media. Limit your consumption and be purposeful. Setting calendar times for social media or DVR-ing a show can save tons of mental energy!
- Procrastination – can drain you so fast. Not only do you end up thinking about the task over and over; but, by not taking a small action step and getting started, delay forms a pattern of delay and makes starting even harder. Every time you get an assignment or take on a task, complete a small action item immediately. Then spell out the next small step so you can plug right back in.
- Bad habits – we all have our nemesis. This is the habit will-power has proven time and time again to be insufficient against. Get vulnerable. Ask someone for help. Be accountable and take steps to overcome hand in hand with a coach or accountabuddy.
Your energy and vibrance in life can be spent doing so much good. Save it from leaking out and being wasted in meaningless energy drains. Insulate today!